Sunday 3 March 2019

Thank you Jane

I was thinking about having to make a card for my uncle and like with many male cards was short on inspiration. I had a trawl through a some recent posts of those blogs I follow seeking inspiration and I came across just the inspiration I needed on Jane Willis's blog Onions and Paper

Jane had made a card using a faux stained glass window effect which sent me rummaging in my Sue Wilson die folder.  I've had the sail boat die a while now and have used it in many ways - paper piecing, colouring, colouring acetate, and colouring and then covering with microbeads.  All have produced good cards but apart from the colouring, fiddly cards which put me off using the die. 

After seeing Jane's post though a different story.  A quick whizz through the Gemini, with a piece of white card behind the black to pick out the shape of the die.  Some basic colouring and then three layers of Ultra Thick Embossing Powder to get the stained glass effect.  The hardest part was sticking the black card onto the 'stained glass' as Crafter's Companion's Stick and Spray does not do what it says on the tin and ought to be reported to Trading Standards!

I shall put a sentiment on tomorrow morning as the card has to spend the night under some heavy boxes to flatten it out.  I checked the time I commented on Jane's blog to when I finished the card and it was under an hour.  Nice work and thank you Jane. 

The white bits are reflection and not poor colouring.


4 comments:

  1. Wow, that is the fastest I've ever known inspiration to work! It looks fantastic, the stained glass effect really brings out the best in this die. Isn't it odd how shiny and sparkly things are so hard to photograph? But those white glints show just how very shiny it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane. I've a few of these type of die and this has set me off on another way to use them. It is funny how photos change things as in the photo in some places the embossing looks higher than the black die cut, when in fact the black is laid on top of the embossing. Now, can you inspire me towards this week's lottery numbers?

      Delete
  2. A fantastic looking card Karen, I love the stained glass effect.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful card, Karen. I've seen a couple of blogs this week with the stained glass effect and it's something on my list of technique to try. xx

    ReplyDelete